Tuesday, July 28, 2020

                                                   "Let's Talk Pickles, Shall We?"

To pickle or not to pickle has never been the question at this house.  Even if I think there is no such  thing as a great cheeseburger, without a heaping mess of sliced dills on it. If I had no craving for that salty tang of a good dill pickle, I would still insist on making as many jars as my three little pickle vines will produce.  Why?  Because Bodie and I love them and I like to share a jar with friends and family that I know have a taste for my pickles.  It's that simple.

And because pickles are one of those foods that elicits strong opinions, and I began to write this story I thought I should also do a bit of research regarding the "sour" history and lore of this decidedly controvercial vegetable.  Right away I discovered that Cleopatra ate pickles to maintain her legendary youth and beauty.  And Christopher Columbus had the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria stocked with this vitamen-rich vegetable for his crews to eat, thereby staving off scurvy as they made their historic crossing of the Atlantic.  I kid you not!  This is pure fact but, I will also admit that I'm not above "gherkin" your chain on this!  And history goes on to claim that Alice Roosevelt once said of her father's political foe, Calvin Coolidge, "He looks like he was weaned on a pickle"!  But I must share another completely irrelevant quote from Miss Roosevelt--"If you don't have anything nice to say, come sit by me." OK!  I know I said politics would not be a part of my posts but on this one, you're just going to have to "dill" with it! It's been said that it "takes a sour woman" to make a good pickle. Interpret that as you wish my Darlin's.



These are some of my bread and butter pickles and in the background are pickled onions, tomatoes and cucumbers. It is against the laws of nature to ever eat a bowl of beans and cornbread without the accompanying condiments of bread and butter pickles, fried okra and potatoes, yellow crook-neck squash casserole, fresh green onions and sliced tomatoes.  And though Bodie and I often eat this meal as one of our weekly "meatless" meals, I would never consider serving this to guests without fried chicken. The long line of women who taught me polite southern manners would "roll over in their graves".  And speaking of those revered souls, my maternal great grandmother, Mammye, in her later years, got up every morning and fried a chicken---just in case one of her friends died. That, dear modern girls is manners and devotion!
On to my dill pickle recipe.


So you can make dill slices or spears and I think both lend themselves to our pickle enjoyment.           But you must have a good glass of tea within your reach to fortify you for the task at hand.


                                  




                                                   Suzanne's Refrigerator Dill Pickles

This recipe will make 4 pints of tightly packed pickles. And will keep for weeks if refrigerated.

4-5 cucumbers, sliced or cut into spears and placed in clean jars

In a medium sauce pan add the next 4 ingredients and bring to a boil. 
2 c. water
1-1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
4-5 Tbsp. Kosher salt or less if your taste/health dictates
2-1/2 Tbsp. sugar

As soon as the liquid comes to a boil, remove from heat and cool to room temperature.  While liquid is cooling add to jars:
1 tsp. minced garlic (I use the garlic already minced from the grocery)
1 tsp. pickling spice (I use Pendery's Mixed Pickling Spice.  You can order online at
                                   www.penderys.com)  I believe this is key to the success of my pickles.
1/2 tsp. whole black peppercorns
1/2 to 1 tsp. dried crushed dill weed
and a sprig of fresh dill gives your finished product an appetizing appearance but its optional.

Pour cooled vinegar mixture into your jars, seal and refrigerate for at least a day or two before serving to get the best taste.

** For making bread and butter pickles I invested in a crinkle cut knife from Amazon.com.  It makes them look like you care and are a pro in the kitchen.





1 comment: