Monday, August 31, 2020

"I'm Becoming the Family Blanket Maker"

 Yes, I've taken on a new project since finding out that I was to become a great grandmother! Notice I said BECOMING the family blanket maker.  My sweet "mother-in-love" was the consummate quilt and blanket maker.  She kept us in blankets and quilts and did our mending and made school and Halloween kid's costumes making for three families and many extended family members when she graced this earth with her presence.  And she did have a presence!  She influenced all of us for the better.  She loved and cared for us in her own way and yes, she chewed our butts out if we needed it.  And all of us did need it, more than once.  But she taught us by example, what loving someone unconditionally looks like.  In my life and in the lives of my husband and children and grandchildren, she mattered! And her influence still exists.  She left a legacy of love!

One of her acts of love was to provide baby blankets for all the grandkids and anyone else she encountered that had a baby.  And she made the good kind!  The kind that was big enough that you could take them out in a blizzard and that baby would be warm from the house to the car and it was big enough to cover you too, if you needed it to do so.  She made the kind that could be spread out in the den floor and it would take a youngun' at least 10 minutes of sustained effort to roll to the edge.  Yes, they were blankets of substance made by a woman of substance! And while I most likely will not be what she was to the world of blankets, I am none the less giving it the "old college try"!

Yesterday, I decided that it was time to get another blanket done for my 5 month old great granddaughter. I have made 4 for her --three for the shower, and one for Easter.  It simply isn't blanket weather in Texas during the summer.  So with September on the horizon, I decided yesterday was the time for me to get serious about a new blanket.  Any day now we could look north and see a "blue norther" blowing down.  And what great grandmother in her right mind would want her precious great to have to venture forward wearing last seasons blanket? 

So I put all my other chores aside and made our Blakely aka. Princess B. a Halloween blanket. And it is going out in todays mail. 



     

2 comments:

  1. Blakely will be the cutest and warmest goblin around on Halloween ��

    ReplyDelete